Managed WordPress FAQs
Customers have questions about our Managed WordPress offering – we have answers!
Common Questions About Managed WordPress:
- When will you no longer doing the WordPress Maintenance free of charge?
- Starting in August 2016 all WordPress hosting clients will either need to be doing all their WordPress updates or be on our paid service.
- I have not heard of this ever being needed, do all WordPress hosts charge for this service?
- Yes, this is a standard practice but Web Your Business has never charged for it in the past. Our regular price for this service is below the fee what other hosts charge – search online for ‘WordPress Update Service’ or similar search terms. You will find that services run $30.00 -$45.00 a month for what we offer. IF you find a website hosting company that does not require WordPress websites be updated on a regular bases, they will have daily attacks on their servers and the clients websites would be slow, infected and compromised on a regular basis. Please, do not consider them as this WILL cause you many issues.
- How much time will it take me to update my WordPress website each month if I decide to do this myself?
- We would recommend that you check your website at least daily. Backups of the database should be taken daily, and of the plugins + uploads at least weekly. You can buy plugins to automate much of this. Major updates should be preceded by a total backup and functionality tested afterwards. We estimate that a website with half a dozen plugins would require about 5-6 hours of maintenance per month for the average user.
- I don’t think my site would come under attack – why would it?
- First you have to realize that this is not about you – or your site – or your business – or even about WordPress. This is about Cybercrime. There are cyber criminals who attack ALL website content management systems, not just WordPress. They run botnets which attempt attacks on out of date plugins, on weak logins and passwords. They attempt to ‘brute-force’ their way into any and all content management systems. WordPress is a target because many people install WordPress and do NOT take the time to secure it, or update it.
Because of this, the number of WordPress sites is a rich ecosystem to attack, but it is not the only place these criminals attack. They go after Joomla and Drupal and just about every other system with large numbers of websites.
- Why do these CyberCriminals attack websites?
- Not surprisingly, this is about money. A compromised website is a pool of resources for a CyberCriminal. It can be used to send spam, or to send attacks on your website. They can host porn or other files on your space (some of which could get you a call from law enforcement). These are just a few of the things that criminals can do with the resources you paid for to host your website. If there is a way to exploit your disk space, your mail server, your processor cycles, then a criminal will find a way. It’s just about the money to them.
- I already pay $12.50 a month for my business hosting account. What would I be charged each month to add the WordPress Maintenance program to my account?
- You would be charged $12.50 for the hosting and $12.50 for the WordPress Maintenance a total of $25.00 per month.
- I would like to pay this annually, what would be my charge?
- $150.00 is the annual fee. We can bill you separately or as another line item on your annual account. If your annual account is not due until September we can prorate this fee to your anniversary date then. Just let us know how you would like to be billed.
- I want to do this myself, how will I be notified that there are updates to do?
- You are not notified by us or anyone else that updates are required. WordPress can be setup to update some security related updates automatically, but they cannot be scheduled and backups are not automatically taken before they apply. Using automatic updates from the WordPress software can break your site. You have to log into your WordPress website to see if any updates are available to do.
- Can I sign up for this service at a later date and still get the 50% off?
- Yes, if you find that you do not have time to do the required updates, you can add this service to your account at the discounted rate until December 31st 2016. If you want us to take over the WordPress Maintenance of your site after that date, you will be charge the $25.00 monthly charge.
- What happens if I do not do my updates in a timely manner?
- We may notify you that there are updates that are past due and request that you complete them within the next 48 hours. Please do not take this 48 hour window lightly – updates which may cause a risk to other websites, or your site being hacked may result in your website being disabled if you do not update your site.
- What if I do not do the required updates at all?
- We will contact you to let you know that you are out of date and that the updates need to be completed. If you do not have the time to complete them we will offer to do them for you at our hourly charge. If this continues to happen, we will strongly recommend that you sign up for the program.
We are very mindful of this additional fee you will be charged for this service and want to provide you the best hosting service for your money without compromising the security of your online business. If you have any other questions, please give us a call.